Saturday, December 10, 2011

Learning in Wonderland

It's pretty sad that I'm writing about a Halloween costume two weeks before Christmas.  We've been insanely busy around here these days, but I had to write about first solo sewing project before it's too late.
It definitely is not my best work, and if you look close you can see a zillion mistakes (the perfectionist in me cringes knowing that I didn't fix them).  From far away, however, it's pretty darn cute (the adorable wearer of the dress doesn't hurt either!).  Sewing a Halloween costume is a great way to do some low-risk learning. 


 Here's my little Alice in Wonderland!  (And our store bought version of a "Cheshire Cat")


Stealing a cue from one of my favorite sewing bloggers, Twelve Dresses, here are the details:


***Alice in Wonderland Dress Report Card***


PATTERN INSTRUCTIONS:  
I'm a novice when it comes to sewing dresses.  This pattern presented quite a few challenges for me from the moment I tried laying out the pattern pieces on the fabric.  (Good thing my mom lives close and doesn't mind harassment phone calls).   Thanks to some extra support from youtube videos, I learned how to:



1. Gather  (and did lots of it!)
2. Install a zipper 
 I ended up having to do this TWICE! The first attempt looked good, but I sewed so close to the zipper that I couldn't pull it down all the way.  The second attempt looked bad, but was functional, so I left it.  Good thing there's an apron covering it!
3. Make a collar  


<insert pat on the back>

PATTERN SIZING: I made a size 3 so that my little one could wear it to play for the next year or so.  A three was BIG.  Again, this was a Halloween costume, so it really didn't matter too much.

FABRIC CHOICE: If I was sewing something for daily wear, I would have been super disappointed in this fabric. The bolt of fabric didn't tell me what kind it was, but by the feel of it, I'm guessing it's some kind of silk blend.   Not only does it wrinkle at a drop of a hat, but the edges frayed super easily.  Finishing small the small seams along the sleeves (with the elastic) was almost impossible.  But, I couldn't beat it for the 40% off price tag and the perfect Alice in Wonderland color.




FINANCIALS 

Pattern, $3.99 (on sale!)
Fabric and notions $18.00  (approx - I bought everything back in September and can't find my receipt) 
Total $21.99


WOULD I MAKE THIS DRESS AGAIN?: Possibly.  It's pretty darn cute for kids.  



THINGS TO LEARN FOR NEXT TIME:

  • Matching Seams: No matter how hard I tried, my seams didn't match up.  It makes me a little nervous for my next project (since I plan on making something that I'll wear).  Hopefully some Google searches will lead me to some helpful tips.
  • Finishing:  I don't have a surger and don't plan on buying one, but I've read about using a zig zag stictch at the end of the fabric to create the same effect.  Worth a shot!






No comments:

Post a Comment